MPA Network, MALTA
Development of the financing plan for Malta MPA network
Malta archipelago is composed of three main islands Malta, Gozo, and Comino. When compared to its landmass, Malta enjoys a relative abundance of coastal and marine resources, including marine habitats and species of conservation importance.
BlueSeeds is supporting ERA in the development of a business plan for the implementation of the conservation measures for its network of 18 MPAs in Malta. This business plan is the first step to reach financial sustainability of marine conservation in the country.
Main territorial challenges
Status of the 6 pillars of sustainability
of conservation measures managed by ERA
- Development of a financing plan for the management of 18 MPAs
- Ongoing discussion about the development of ERA’s environemental fund
- Ongoing discussion about tourism-based financing mechanisms
- MPA validation business plan validation
- Implementation of innovative financing mechanisms
- Extend the BlueSeeds – ERA cooperation agreement