Kas Kekova, TURKEY
Development of an action plan for eco-mooring implementation
Kas Kekova Marine Protected Area is located in the Southwest of Turkey, at the west of Antalya province. The MPA has an area of 166 km2 with no-fishing zones. Kas Kekova is a hotspot for tourism in Turkey.
At the end of its first field mission, BlueSeeds realized a diagnosis of the many limits to sustainable marine conservation activities of the area, and proposed an integrated action plan to address them. BlueSeeds works with WWF-Turkey and local stakeholders to decrease impact of mass tourism and explored alternative income-generating opportunities for fishermen.
Main territorial challenges
WWF Turkey, NGO AKD, KAS TOURISM ASSOCIATION
Status of the 6 pillars of sustainability
of conservation measures managed by ERA
- Development of a global approach for eco-mooring
- Reviving of the tourism label
- Contract of WWF-SSF for a support on financial mechanism development
- Raising interest in Blue Local Incubator among local stakeholders
- Development of a business plan for the MPA
- Development of an Action Plan to implement and manage a one hundred eco-moorings in the MPA