Porto Cesareo, ITALY
Proposal for alternative revenues for fishermen
Porto Cesareo MPA is located in the Gulf of Taranto at the Ionian Sea. The coast has sandy beaches, islands and sea caves. Seabeds are abundant in multicolored coralligenous formations and Posidonia meadows. Porto Cesareo is home to an important fleet of 250 small-scale, artisanal fishing boats, who play a crucial role in the local economy, including different types of fishing-related tourism.
BlueSeeds realized two missions in Porto Cesareo to explore alternative income-generating activities for artisanal fishermen.
Main territorial challenges
Status of the 6 pillars of sustainability
of the local fishing activity
- Benchmark for alternative income-generating activities for fishermen
- Inspirational workshop which gather fishermen to present them examples of value-added projects for fisheries
- Development of Slow Fish label
- Implementation of alternative income-generating activities for fishermen
- Possible candidate to develop a local Blue incubator