In Tunisia, BlueSeeds started the impact assessment of the Together for the Med network’s projects funded by the MAVA Foundation
BlueSeeds has been coordinating Together for the Med, a network of 50 partners carrying out 15 projects funded by the MAVA Foundation which aim to reduce fishing pressures in the Mediterranean Sea.
Our team members Auriane and Agathe went to Monastir and Tunis to meet with many stakeholders to assess the impact of their projects.
We collected information on the following projects led in Tunisia:
- The MedBycatch project that reduces the impact of bycatch on vulnerable species, coordinated by BirdLife and its partners;
- The Species Knowledge project that fills key knowledge gaps on vulnerable species, coordinated by the SPA/RAC and its partners;
- The project of Conservation of Marine Turtles in the Mediterranean Region that enhances the protection and conservation of these species, coordinated by the SPA/RAC and its partners;
- The GFCM Regional Repository (GFCM-Lex) project that works towards a region-wide legal framework for the conservation of Mediterranean living marine resources and ecosystems, coordinated by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO);
- The Co-managed MPA / No-take Zones project that scales up co-managed and financially sustainable marine protected areas and no-take zones, coordinated by the WWF Mediterranean Marine Initiative and its partners;
- The project on Mitigating dolphin depredation that strengthens cetacean conservation and sustainable fisheries, coordinated by the ACCOBAMS and its partners;
- The MedKey Habitats project that inventories marine key habitats of conservation interest, coordinated by the SPA/RAC and its partners;
Thank you to all the reprensentatives of NGOs, local and regional public authorities, conservation project leaders, coordinators, focal points, field observers and fishers that took the time to meet us and present the impact of their actions.
The release of the impact report is planned for 2022.